Sunday, August 10, 2008

Annual float trip and work in Texas

Last weekend we went to Montauk State Park with the rest of Jen's Mum's side of the family for the annual float trip/family reunion.

We drove down on the Thursday night and set up our tent next to Jen's parent's motorhome. We had the airbed so was reasonably comfortable but the temperature was a nightmare, even just sitting doing nothing was enough to sweat and it doesn't cool much overnight.


We got up early on the Friday to do the float trip. Jen and I shared a canoe with the two dogs for the 8-mile float. It was good fun, stopping now and again to get out and stretch and get in the water. Had a few beers, as is the tradition, as well as our peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. We also had a few water gun fights that helped keep us cool.


On Saturday we went for a hike, which was a mistake, the temperature was way too hot. I managed to brush up against something that had seed ticks on it. I looked down and saw this big patch on my leg, I thought it was pollen or something similar, but it was about a hundred seed ticks, not very nice. On Saturday night we had steaks that Jen's grandpa had bought for everyone.


On Sunday we came home and I had to get packed for working the week in Texas. On Sunday night I thought I might get out of the trip as a possible hurricane was coming through Texas City. We travelled down on the Monday and worked a normal day but the office was closed on the Tuesday. It was only a tropical storm that came through in the end, so not much damage in the area or at the refinery so back to work as normal for the rest of the week. With Texas City being on the coast I ended up having a lot of fish to eat including my first taste of alligator, which tastes a bit like chicken, actually pretty nice.


Got back on Friday and just had a relaxing weekend. No photos from this trip but got some photos done recently for our engagement as part of the package we got with the photographer for the wedding.

No comments: