Sunday, July 13, 2008

Independence day weekend

For independence day weekend this year we went north. I had the Friday and Monday off as public holidays but Jen only got Friday plus she had to work in Minneapolis, MN from Monday through Wednesday.

So, on Friday 4th July while the rest of America was celebrating independence day with BBQs etc we were flying from St Louis to Minneapolis where we picked up a rental car and then drove to Fargo, ND. Apparently there is a film that was set in Fargo called, funnily enough, Fargo. I've yet to see this but now have it on the Netflix queue.

Fargo is a nice enough place but one day was about enough to cover the stuff we wanted to do. We went to the local zoo in the morning and then downtown at lunch time. Downtown was a bit dead, partly because places were closed for the holiday. However, we still found a few nice shops to browse. In the afternoon we went on a pontoon boat tour on the Red River, which was pretty good.

On the Sunday we headed back to Minneapolis via some back roads and we stopped off at Maplewood State Park for a hike. The State Park, as the rest of the state, was beautiful. Minnesota is known as the State of 10,000 lakes. This makes for beautiful scenery. When we got back to the hotel I discovered I had picked up a couple of hitchhikers, two ticks. One came off easily the other not so, its head was left in at first and finally got it out with a pair of tweezers. I was left with a red ring around the bite and some bruising, which had me worried at first because ticks can carry Lyme disease, one of the signs of which is a red rash around the bite site. Luckily my bite area was red because of the head being stuck in their pretty good.

Monday through Wednesday I explored the Minneapolis area. It is quite a nice area, with lakes in the city that lots of people walk/run/cycle round. The Mississippi runs through downtown and used to be the source of power and water that ran big flour mills back in the day. They also have a skyway that covers most of downtown, which is a covered walkway at first floor level that connects most of the buildings.

All in all a good time off for only using 2 days vacation time. I have now been in half of the fifty states.

No comments: