Monday, June 25, 2007

Goomna race weekend





This weekend I was in an adventure race on Saturday with Luke from work and his girlfriend. Our team name was Trail Dragons, which I didn't pick by the way. We started at 9am and finished at about 5pm. I started the race by running a mile to a swimming pool and had to jump in and find a bag with out team name on it and checkpoint descriptions in it, then run a mile back to the start/finish area. The next stage was the canoeing, this involved a 2.5 mile run to the lake, then 5 miles in the canoe followed by the 2.5 miles run back to the start finish. Next was the running stage and this involved running around town and at one point had a orienteering section. The last stage was the biking and there was about 40 miles on the bike, some off-road some on and a section where one of the team had to get in an inner tube and pull themselves over to a checkpoint. There were 21 checkpoints in all and they had to be done in order, we got to checkpoint 19 after about 7 hours at which point the race was stopped due to the weather, a big storm passed through with torrential downpours, thunder and lightning. At the point the race was stopped we were leading our group and based on the other results we probably would have finished 4th or 5th, so did really well. During the cycling I had really bad cramps and had to stop for a while so was glad to complete the course.


The night before the race I had my quarterly car collision. That's 3 now since I bought the car in October, all 3 times I have been stationary, but this time I was hit by an uninsured person. So I had to go and file a police report so that I can claim through my insurance and I will be hit with my 1000 dollar deductible, which is so high because the damn insurance companies over here don't recognise my 16 years of driving experience in the UK, and with manual cars. She tried to park in front of me and damaged my wing and bumper, doesn't look like much, but estimate was 1900 bucks. I'm sure my car must be some sort of magnet for crazy drivers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not sure if you've noticed but they drive on the other side of the road over ther, hope this helps, cheers, Richie.