Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Surgery Succes, Earthquakes and Spring arrives

No post last weekend as I was recovering from eye surgery to correct my vision. I wasn't a candidate for the normal LASIK procedure but was OK for a procedure called PRK, which has the same final results but has a longer recovery period.

I had the surgery on Friday and had no problems all day. I kept waiting for the pain to kick in as they had given me a valium tablet and a prescription for a strong painkiller but the pain never arrived. I had a bit of discomfort over the weekend but the main thing was that I was really sensitive to light and my vision was really blurry. However, after the weekend I started getting my vision back and I am now at about 20/20 but still have some problems with night vision and tiredness that should get better over the coming months.

On Friday morning last week I woke up at about 4.30am to what I though was shaking. Not thinking much about it as I was still half asleep I went back to sleep. When I got up for work and put the news on it turned out that the shaking wasn't a passing truck but was an earthquake, which had measured 5.4 on the richter scale and was located a couple of hundred miles away on the other side of illinois. Apparently the midwest is quite close to an earthquake hot spot.

This weekend with my vision clearing up we went for a hike with the dogs and Jen's sister to one of the state parks about an hours drive from St Louis. It was about 8.5 miles long and was a good hike with really good weather, unfortunately didn't see much in the way of wildlife except for a few ticks.

On Monday night played in the first works golf night of the season, which went well despite my vision not being perfect yet.

With the hike at the weekend and then the golf on Monday night it now feels like we are finally in spring, fantastic!

No comments: