Monday, February 05, 2007

Colorado - Jan/Feb 07






I have just returned from a week of snowboarding in Colorado with one of the guys from work called Rob Rhea. We flew there on Sunday, were on the slopes Mon thru Thurs and then flew home Friday. I went for a lesson on Monday, which was excellent. I had had a lesson last January so went in at level 2 instead of 1 and got an instructor all to myself for the day, so effectively got a private lesson for the price of a group lesson. On Tuesday we went to Breckenridge and I was on the slope for the first time myself, was good fun, even managed a blue/black run but also did a full speed face plant that hurt a bit. Wednesday we were at Vail, which was nice, with lots of fresh powder, but wasn't best suited to a beginner snowboarder. On Thursday we stayed at our own resort again, Keystone, I even had a go at some of the smaller features in the terrain park trying to get some air and doing some rails.

We met some of Rob's friends on the trip who knew when Rob was heading out there so had booked the same resort for the same week. We hung out most nights having a few apres-ski drinks in the hottub on the sixth floor of our hotel, great views, also had a night out in Breckenridge which had a livelier nightlife, met a guy from London who hung out with for a while.

On Sunday I had the last race of my 5-race series and although didn't do well I managed to hang on for first place overall in my age category (30-39). The race was dreadful, I think I was still sore and tired from the snowboarding but it was also really cold, about -17.5 C.

Next week I close on my Condo so may be intermittent updates for the next month or so.

No comments: